Waste Management HR Generalist - Western Canada Area (1 year Maternity Leave) in Alberta, Canada
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects
If you would you like to work in ahigh performing, very embedded, small HR team to cover a 1 year maternity leave thenwe promise your experience will never be dull and will accelerate your career.
I. Job Summary
Serves as on-site Human Resources Generalist for client groups across the Western Canada Area. Performs moderately complex Human Resources related duties at the professional level and carries out responsibilities in some or all of the following functional areas: employee relations, labour relations, training, compliance, benefits and compensation. Administers HR policies and procedures. Collects and analyzes HR data, assists the HR Director with tasks as assigned and makes recommendations to Management.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Provides direct support to HR Leadership in various areas such as employee relations, staffing, training and development, benefits and compensation, policy and procedure compliance, organizational development, performance management, succession planning and other corporate initiatives.
- Provides timely, outstanding customer service and support to all internal and external stakeholders.
- Investigates help line calls and resolves employee conflicts and/or questions.
- Organizes and facilitates training programs.
- Assists in resolution of employee problems including coaching, counseling and discipline.
- Monitors for compliance to labour laws and company policies.
- Develops and analyzes HR metrics, such as employee turnover reports.
- Coaches managers in application of collective agreements, responding to grievances and issuing of discipline.
- Responds to Step 3 grievances in a timely and effective manner.
- Coordinates L&D activities in accordance with the market area people development plan.
- Responsible for all HR Administrative duties as they may arise.
- Builds relationships with all stakeholders including unions, managers, external providers, external regulator, and front line employees.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor's Degree (accredited) in Human Resources, Business Administration or similar area of study, or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and 4 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience: 3 years of relevant work experience in an HR role covering one or more of the following: employee relations, benefits or compensation, performance management, etc (in addition to education requirement).
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Preferred: CHRP Certification
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office, time and attendance and other human resource information systems (e.g., PeopleSoft).
- Experience in a unionized environment is considered an asset.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is: office setting.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on Pension, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
Job: Human Resources
Title: HR Generalist - Western Canada Area (1 year Maternity Leave)
Requisition ID: 16017157