Chevron Corporation Laboratory Technician in Burnaby, British Columbia
Chevron is one of the world's leading integrated energy companies, with subsidiaries that conduct business worldwide. The company is involved in virtually every facet of the energy industry. Chevron explores for, produces and transports crude oil and natural gas; refines, markets and distributes transportation fuels and lubricants; manufactures and sells petrochemical products; generates power and produces geothermal energy; and develops the energy resources of the future, including biofuels.
Chevron is accepting online applications for the position of [[extTitle]] located in [[filter5]] , [[filter4]] through December 8, 2016 at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
Chevron’s Burnaby Refinery is a modern 55,000 Barrel per day refinery located on Burrard Inlet near Vancouver, British Columbia. Our facility supplies a significant portion of southwestern BC’s gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel and is part of Chevron’s global network of refineries.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
· Routine and non-routine testing of process streams as well as testing of finished products (gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, propane, butane and asphalt) to ensure quality of products prior to shipment from the Refinery.
· Typical testing includes but is not limited to distillation, RVP, density, viscosity, cloud point, flash, Karl Fisher, sulfur, gas chromatography, silica chromatography, and wastewater analyses such as pH, TSS, phenols, oil & grease, and colorimetric titrations
· Duties also include general lab supply replenishment, such as mixing and filtering solvents, discarding retained fuel, inventory management, changing compressed gas cylinders and washing sample bottles.
· Must be a strong team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills. The successful candidate will have exhibited leadership in a team environment; will be a self-starter, an effective problem solver, and have a mechanical aptitude along with proven ability to effectively handle several tasks/projects concurrently.
· Must have excellent analytical skills, organizational and time management skills, and solid written and verbal communication skills.
· Must embrace positive change and is committed to further advancing the Refinery’s safety and reliability culture.
· Weekend work is required as part of the normal working schedule after completion of the short service employee program.
· As per the Collective Agreement, the candidate must hold, as a minimum, a diploma in the chemical sciences from BCIT or its equivalent.
Employees hired into the Laboratory Division will have successfully completed one or more of the following educational requirements:
Bachelor Degree, with a Major or Minor in Chemistry, or a minimum of 2 years of standard chemistry lectures and chemistry laboratory courses
2-year post-secondary Diploma or Associate of Science Degree in the chemical sciences with classroom laboratory component or its equivalent
2 years of work experience in a petroleum or refinery laboratory working full time as a lab technician. If this candidate does not meet minimum educational requirements, this candidate must be able to demonstrate proficiency of key benchtop skills required by the current role as defined by the company, which may include a practical exam or interview.
· Consideration will be given to candidates possessing a Bachelor of Science degree.
· Basic knowledge of the refining industry and finished products would be an asset.
· A strong understanding of statistics and a commitment to quality control would also be an asset to the successful candidate
· Experience with the maintenance, calibration, and repair of instrumentation would be a valuable asset.
· Experience using gas chromatography software and GC method validation is considered a valuable asset.
Candidates must be legally able to work in Canada at this time. Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefit package.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Chevron continues to build a diverse workforce and is committed to employment equity.
Relocation will not be considered.
Expatriate assignments will not be considered.
Chevron regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas or consider individuals on time-limited Visa status for this position.