GE Controls Engineer, Systems Engineering in Calgary, Alberta
GE Energy Connections
Energy Connections Grid Solutions
GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
Grid Solutions equips 90% of power utilities worldwide to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to end power consumers. With over 200 years combined experience in providing advanced energy solutions, our products and services enable more resilient, efficient and reliable power systems. For more information, visit www.GEGridSolutions.com
Posted Position Title
Controls Engineer, Systems Engineering
Location(s) Where Opening Is Available Canada
U.S. State, China or Canada Provinces
Calgary, La Prairie or Markham
Automation Engineering is responsible for designing, programming, testing & commissioning of Automation & SCADA systems for both the Electric Utility & Industrial markets for the Grid Solutions business. In depth hands on experience & knowledge of DS AGILE systems is an essential element of this role. The incumbent also provides on demand Application Engineering and Customer Support.
This position may be located in Calgary, La Prairie or Markham.
• Key technical person on project implementation for complex projects
• Acts as technical leader for the projects, a project manager partner
• Is a direct customer contact on technical issues, clarifies and seeks customer approval on project technical deliverables
• Analysis of the customer’s needs starting from tender, identification of the appropriate solution according to customer's functional specifications and participate in technical definition of the delivery
• Designs all system levels and defines system components
• Oversees and directs systems engineering sub-contractors’ assignments
• Approve factory and assembly drawings related to designed systems and recommend changes when required
• Assists project manager in resolving any scheduling conflicts as necessary, to achieve delivery requirements
• Support in detecting variation opportunities & help in claim negotiation
• Conducts Factory Acceptance Tests as Technical Leader
• Conducts Site Acceptance Tests as Technical Leader
• Assists Applications Engineering on bid of system engineering efforts
• Evaluate third party products and systems and provide reports on their system integration capabilities
• Seeks resolutions on hardware, software or performance related systems issues
• Prepares system integration plans, system specification, factory and site acceptance test documents
• Mentor junior engineering and system integration staff
• Abide by all GE Corporate and local policies and procedures including but not limited to Integrity, Diversity, Proprietary Information, Conflict of Interest, QMS and EHS
• Work in a safe manner and ensure appropriate training is taken to do tasks safely
• Report any accidents or injuries while on the job
• Investigate accidents / incidents and implement actions to prevent a recurrence wherever possible
• Oversee cubicle safety & good housekeeping practices of team members
• When providing any direction to others, ensure that he/she has the skills, knowledge and ability to do the task effectively and safely
• Perform other related duties as assigned
• Minimum of a BSc. in Electrical Engineering (or equivalent) coupled with four to six years' software and/or hardware system design related experience
• An Electronics Technology/Technician Diploma or equivalent from an ASET recognized institute with equivalent experience will be considered
• The incumbent must possess strong knowledge of SCADA, communication protocols and media.
• Proficiency in Windows OS, Microsoft Office applications
• Strong working knowledge of database applications, CAD tools
• HMI and programming skills are an asset
• Should be eligible for P.Eng. registration
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
• Ability to work independently.
• Strong problem solving skills.
• The ability to work independently within a dynamic work environment is essential.
• Well-developed communication, organizational and interpersonal skills are required.
• Participate in Six Sigma programs
• Flexible approach to working hours is essential