Canadian National Railway Company Signal & Communications Supervisor in Moncton, New Brunswick
*Role:* S&C; Supervisors are responsible for managing the operation of an assigned territory that involves installing, repairing, testing and maintaining various signal and communication systems including railway signaling systems, wayside information systems, and highway grade crossing protection systems.
* Duties and Responsibilities:*
- Manage engineering operations as outlined in CN's operating plan
- Manage engineering operations which includes compliance with safe work procedures, FRA guidelines, and CN policies and procedures.
- Lead people with clear direction and goals while providing coaching and guidance to employees through regular monitoring of employee performance.
- Apply collective agreement(s) and company policies when carrying out their duties, including managing and coaching employees, conducting investigations, recommending corrective action, and responding to grievances.
- Manage budgets and workforce productivity within CN and departmental policy.
- Participate in activities related to derailments and disruptions in service, while working with appropriate stakeholders to determine cause and future prevention.
- Participation in Investigations when necessary
- Develops and checks work of a group of signalman apprentices.
- Day to day supervision of assigned staff.
- Facilitate on-boarding of new S&C; apprentices as well as evaluation(s).
- Provide field and technical support to install and maintain signal and warning functions within the railway system.
- Shift work which includes: Irregular hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays
- Combination of office and working outdoors in varying weather and environmental conditions.
- Lift up to 50 lbs
- Meet deadlines, interface with senior management
- Travel for company business, at times without advance notice
- Respond to unexpected or emergency situations
- High School diploma or GED
- Must be 18 years of age
- Valid driver's license
- Must meet all medical fitness for duty requirements for the position.
- Demonstrated history and experience in safety compliance
- Ability to understand train scheduling and Railroad Operating rules
- Demonstrates a proven track record in troubleshooting and problem solving
- Strong ability to perform well under pressure and in stressful situations and circumstances
- Must display logistical thinking, critical thinking and multitasking skills
- Ability to successfully collaborate in a team environment while prioritizing tasks and instructions
- Ability to work autonomously and adapt to changing situations
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Must have the ability to stay alert and prepared for unusual conditions or circumstances
- Demonstrate good teamwork and maintain positive interactions with others
- Dedication to getting the job done while meeting established standards of quality, safety and client satisfaction
- Relevant work experience in similar working conditions or regulatory/safety environment.
- Experience managing budgets.
- Experience in supervising a unionized workforce
- Labor relations experience i.e. interpretation of collective agreements, response to grievances, negotiations with union representatives, discipline, etc.
- Training or certification in a Railroad Operating Signals
- Post-secondary education.
- Basic computer skills
The ideal candidate profile:
- Demonstrates the ability to work autonomously, adapt rapidly to changing circumstances and situations and manage stressful situations.
- Collaborative and team-oriented, can motivate others to achieve set objectives and maintains positive interactions. Good leadership skills – supervising, mentoring, coaching.
- Is result-focused, gives clear directions and prioritizes daily tasks.
- Excellent verbal, reading comprehension and writing skills.
- Dedicated to getting the job done while meeting established standards of quality, safety and client satisfaction.
- Understand and apply safety standards, policies and procedures, collective agreements as well as Operating Rules.
* Training:* Signals and Communications Supervisors will go through training in Winnipeg, MB. Training relating to operations will be done on the job and facilitated by current Signal and Communication Supervisors and Signal Managers.
Auto req ID: 7171BR