Canadian National Railway Company Assistant Track Supervisor in Quebec
Assistant Track Supervisors are responsible for track inspection and repairs as well as replacing rails, ties, switches and ballasts in their assigned territory.
S*elected candidates will travel across the province of Quebec during the first year, shadowing at various terminals. Once qualified, after 12-18 months, the employee_may_ be assigned to a territory in Northern Quebec. Possible locations include, but are not limited to: Chambord, La Tuque, Senneterre.*
Previous work experience away from home is an asset; the willingness to relocate post-program (and beyond) to any location within Eastern Canada (QC, NB, NS) is an absolute must. We have a solid relocation policy to assist our employees through the relocation process.
Critical performance areas include the following but may vary depending on location and circumstances:
- Manage transportation operations, including compliance with safe work procedures and practices as well as deliver a high level of productivity and customer service.
- Lead people with clear direction and goals and provide coaching and guidance to employees through regular monitoring of employee performance.
- Apply collective agreement(s) and company policies when carrying out their duties, including managing and coaching employees, conducting investigations, recommending corrective action, and responding to grievances.
- Manage budgets and workforce productivity within CN policy and its Five Guiding Principles.
- Irregular hours, including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Combination of office work and working outdoors in varying weather and environmental conditions.
- May be relocated if necessary.
- Meet deadlines, interface with senior management.
- Travel for company business, at times without advance notice.
Respond to unexpected or emergency situations. Minimum Requirements:
Experience in supervising a unionized workforce.
- Proven track record in troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Demonstrated history/ experience in safety compliance.
- Valid driver's license.
- Predictable, reliable attendance.
- High school diploma or equivalent General Education Diploma (GED).
- Relevant work experience in similar working conditions or regulatory/safety environment.
- Experience managing budgets.
- Labour relations experience, i.e. interpretation of collective agreements, response to grievances, negotiations with union representatives, discipline, etc.
- Training or certification in a Railroad Operating Signals
- Post-secondary education.
- Basic computer skills.
Successful candidates will participate in an intense, several months training program during which we will teach them how to inspect track and instruct them on all technical aspects of the role. We have designed a program incorporating classroom training coupled with hands-on field training. Our theoretical training may take place away from home. Successful completion of the training program is mandatory in order to work as an Assistant Track Supervisor.
The ideal candidate profile:
- Energetic, ability to work autonomously, adapt rapidly to changing circumstances and situations and manage stressful situations.
- Collaborative and team-oriented, can motivate others to achieve set objectives and maintains positive interactions. Good leadership skills – manage, mentor, coach.
- Is results-focused, gives clear directions and prioritizes daily tasks.
- Excellent English and French verbal, reading comprehension and writing skills.
- Dedicated to getting the job done while meeting established standards of quality, safety and client satisfaction.
- Understand and apply safety standards, policies and procedures, collective agreements as well as Operating Rules.
City: Across Quebec
Auto req ID: 7174BR