CSX Track Worker- Huntingdon, QC, Canada in Quebec, Canada
Title: Track Worker- Huntingdon, QC, Canada
Other Locations: Canada-Quebec-Beauharnois
Job Number: 043896
Work as a member of a crew to install new railroad track, maintain existing track and right-of-way. Current Canadian citizenship required.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Participate in group discussions including unit meetings, job briefings, safety meetings or process reviews
- Remove and replace track and track components (e.g. ties, rails, bars, etc.)
- Replace or repair track switches with specific components
- Slide and align tie plates
- Drill holes through rails for insertion of bolts and tighten or loosen bolts at joints that hold ends or rails together
- Correct deviations in track surface, alignment and gauge
- Cut rails to specific lengths
- Receive instructions, requests, orders, and information from posted bulletins, memorandums, rules and regulation manuals
- Adjust, lift and roll rails
- Sort track material for loading and unloading
- Install and repair street and railroad crossings
- Cut brush and vegetation from the right-of-way
- Spray switches, angle bars and joints with oil for lubrication
Entry Rate $23.26/hour
Full Rate $25.84/hour
Employees pay are based on US dollar that is converted to Canadian dollars by CSX. The exchange rate is set once a year on June 1st by the published exchanged rate in the Wall Street Journal
Under Maintenance of Way Collective Bargaining Agreement, Track Workers may be considered for advancement or promotion to other positions within the Engineering Department if qualified.
You will attend three weeks of paid training at the Railroad Education & Development Institute in Atlanta, GA. CSX will pay for travel, lodging and meals as required by collective bargaining agreement. You must be able to travel to USA to complete this training.
- High School diploma/GED
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Driver's License
- Current Canadian citizenship required.
- Preferred Qualifications
- Outside work experience (e.g. construction, heavy equipment operation, farming, landscaping)
- Welding experience
Commercial Drivers License (CDL) Class III
- Verbal comprehension (Understand oral and written communications--both general and technical)
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Reasoning skills (problem solving and troubleshooting skills)
- Basic Math
- Heavy Work, lifting up to 60 pounds occasionally and up to 85 pounds on a rare basis
- Stoop/bend/kneel/crouch/balance/climb on an occasional basis
- Exposure to equipment that intensifies the heat factor on an occasional basis
- Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity/tracking/inspection
- Work safely to prevent on the job accidents and injuries
- Wear protective equipment such as respirator, hard hat, hearing protection, safety-toe boots, or safety glasses
- Primary work hours are 7:00am to 3:30pm Monday thru Friday; Work hours may vary in length and schedule. Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek and various shift work to meet business needs
- Complete annual training and pass safety and track worker rules examinations
- Must successfully complete probationary period
- May require random testing for drugs and/or alcohol
- Must pass all required assessments
- Must pass a background screening
- This position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement, membership is required
- Some Travel required
- Must pass a post-offer medical examination including drug screen
Work outside in all weather conditions and on occasions at elevated heights.
Work will primarily be performed at the between the Dundee, Huntingdon, Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, Beauharnois QC locations, regional travel in these areas may be required to meet business needs
MANULIFE Financial handles Health, Vision, and GRRSP retirement plan. Desjardins handles life and disability insurance.
Safety is a way of life at CSX, encompassing every aspect of company operations. Guided by a policy of ensuring the safety of our employees, our customers and the communities we serve, CSX works relentlessly to prevent accidents and injuries. Not only is it the right thing to do, but when a company puts safety first, everyone benefits: the employees and their families, the customers and the communities. In line with our commitment to safety, the applicant selected for this position may be required to successfully complete a background check and drug test. Passing results must be received prior to start date in new position.
CSX, based in Jacksonville, Florida, is a premier transportation company. It provides rail, intermodal and rail-to-truck transload services and solutions to customers across a broad array of markets, including energy, industrial, construction, agricultural, and consumer products. For nearly 190 years, CSX has played a critical role in the nation's economic expansion and industrial development. Its network connects every major metropolitan area in the eastern United States, where nearly two-thirds of the nation's population resides. It also links more than 240 short-line railroads and more than 70 ocean, river and lake ports with major population centers and farming towns alike. More information about CSX Corporation and its subsidiaries is available at www.csx.com. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
At CSX, two of the company's core values are People Make The Difference and Safety Is A Way of Life. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible. CSX is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Click here to view the EEO is Law poster. Here Click here to view the OFCCP pay transparency provision information. Here